Housebreaking a dog means house training to urinate and defecate outside the house or any other designated area. It is often associated with potty training. Deciding on how you should house train your dog can be confusing to some dogs owners. Before you decide on what techniques to use, you need to consider the advantages and disadvantages for you and for your dog. Always consider your location and the most appropriate technique. Here are some facts that will help you decide whether you should use a dog litter box vs relying on going outside.
Dog litter box or the use of litter box is the perfect choice if you are:
- Living in high apartment buildings or condo units.
- No lawns or backyard.
- Limited space outside.
- Living in rural areas where dogs are not safe to go outside.
- Over populated areas.
- Dogs with old age owners or owners with impaired mobility.
- Health condition of the dog that affects bladder incontinence.
- Dogs with hip dysplasia and cataracts.
Advantages of training your dog to urinate and defecate outside:
- The house is free from dogs mess.
- Permanently placing your dog outside the house.
- Saves you time and effort in cleaning the house for stains and odors.
Litter box or outside for potty training has the same process. It depends upon you to determine which best works for you depending on what is applicable. All you need to do is be consistent and have a lot of patience for it takes time to make the dog learn due to communication barrier. Obviously dogs do not speak english and communication is not always easy. You need to repeat the process for days or even weeks until they get it. Do not lose hope it’s just a matter of time until they get used to it. Potty Training is much easier if you try to watch for the signals for you to determine that they need to urinate and defecate at a certain time.